Damaris O. and Joan Whitacre Scholarship
The Blue Ridge Democratic Women Committee fund this scholarship in honor and memory of longtime Democratic activists Damaris Omps Whitacre (1914-2012) and Joan Whitacre (1934-2017) for their legacy of community service, fairness and equity, and continuing education and skills enhancement.
Damarais Whitacre was a former owner of Shawnee Springs Canning in Cross Junction. She was also a member of Redland United Methodist Church and the Women’s Auxiliary of the Virginia Horticulture Society. Joan Whitacre graduated from Madison College, which is now James Madison University, earning a Bachelor’s of Science in Education. She was a school teacher with Frederick County Public Schools, where she taught 2nd grade at Apple Pie Ridge Elementary, retiring after 33 years of service.
The following criteria must be met to be eligible for the Whitacre Scholarship:
- Reside in LFCC’s service region
- Be enrolled as a full- or part-time student
- Complete the LFCC Foundation scholarship application and the federal student aid application (FAFSA)
- Achieve satisfactory academic progress of 2.5 GPA in the fall semester to receive the spring portion of the award
- The scholarship may be used for tuition, mandatory fees and/or textbooks.
- Answer the question: “Tell the donor a little bit about yourself. How will this scholarship help you? What are your academic goals?”