*LORD FAIRFAX COMMUNITY COLLEGE GED® SCHOLARSHIP *
Lord Fairfax Community College is offering one-year scholarships to qualified GED® graduates.
This award was established to:
- Promote lifelong learning
- Recognize an individual who has re-dedicated him/herself to continuing education
- Promote increased community recognition of the knowledge and skills of GED® graduates
- Promote GED® credibility
- Assist an individual in acquiring training necessary for self-improvement
The scholarship is available to Northern Shenandoah Valley Adult Education students who earned the GED® credential between June 2019 and June 26, 2020. The award will not cover payments for any academic year prior to August 2020. Three scholarships in the amount of $2,750 each will be awarded. The scholarship will be split between the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters. The award can be applied toward college tuition and fees, but not textbooks. Any unused funds will be returned to the College Board fund.
To be considered eligible, the applicant must:
- Have fully completed, and submitted on time, all requirements of this application. * If there is any part of the application checklist you may need assistance with, please contact Sharon Hetland at firstname.lastname@example.org.*
- Have been enrolled in an Adult Education class with Northern Shenandoah Valley Adult Education.
- Have earned the GED® credential between June 2019 and June 26, 2020.
- Be planning to enroll at LFCC for the academic year 2020-2021. OR Be currently enrolled at LFCC with at least a 2.0 grade point average, and have at least two semesters remaining for graduation.
- Have completed an LFCC Admissions Application by the scholarship application due date. _This application is separate from the scholarship application. _ Instructions for completing the Admissions Application for a Future Student can be found here (lfcc.edu/future-students). Prior to the application deadline, complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Information about Financial Aid, as well as the application, can be found here (lfcc.edu/financial-aid/how-does-financial-aid-work). The scholarship may not cover the entire year’s cost of tuition, so while financial aid is not required, it may be necessary for you.
Scholarship applicants will be judged on the following criteria:
MOTIVATION – Interest in furthering education
NEED – financial, educational, and personal
- Clearly defined CAREER AND EDUCATION PLAN – Future career goals and the plan for how you will achieve that goal, including availability for classes
APPLICATION- Clarity and completeness of responses and timely submission, including attached resume
*All applications must be submitted online at https://lfcc.academicworks.com/opportunities/4531 by June 26. Late applications will not be considered. *
*Finalists will be required to participate in an interview via ZOOM on June 29 or 30. The winners will be notified no later than Thursday, July 2. *
*Preparation Requirements and Order of Presentation: *
- Accomplishments: A statement by the applicant of not more than 200 words summarizing his/her personal or professional accomplishments which he/she feels qualifies them for the award. The statement should address why applicant wishes to attend Lord Fairfax Community College.
- Personal Need: A statement by the applicant of not more than 200 words summarizing his/her needs which he/she feels qualifies them for the award.
- Career and Education Goals: A description of the applicant’s career goals and his/her plan of academic action to accomplish these goals. Please include information regarding work schedule, availability for classes, and study time.
- Situational Response: A response by the applicant of not more than 200 words to the following: You are a student enrolled in multiple classes at Lord Fairfax Community College. During the semester, you have an unexpected personal situation (change in work schedule, family crisis, medical, financial, etc.) that is impacting your ability to attend class and/or complete homework according to the instructor’s requirements. How will you handle the situation with regards to school?
GED Experience : A statement using a maximum of 200 words which addresses these points: What factors influenced your decision to pursue the GED®? How did you go about accomplishing this personal goal? What resources did you find most helpful? What would you say to others who might want to obtain the GED®? What did you learn about yourself in this process?
- Attach a current résumé.
_LFCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in their programs and activities. _